OCTOBER JATAKA 5-DAY SESSHIN
Starts—Friday, October 21 at 7:00 p.m.
Ends—Wednesday, October 26 at around 7:00 a.m.
Application Deadline—Friday, September 30
General Sesshin Information
Residential Option—Confusing for this sesshin, so please read carefully
You may apply to stay at the Center during the October Jataka sesshin if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a member of the Triple Sangha or a member of Endless Path Zendo.
- You are Roshi Graef's or Roshi Martin's student.
- You are attending the weekend portion of the sesshin full time. Full time means you are not leaving the Center AT ALL during sesshin other than going into the Center's gardens. If you leave the Zen Center for ANY length of time, you are part time and cannot stay at the Center during the weekend portion of the sesshin.
- VERY IMPORTANT: On Monday and Tuesday the formal sittings are in the morning and evening only. Therefore, if people need to work outside the Center during the day they may do so provided they are working from home or wearing a mask if working with others. Ideally, people who are staying at the Center would not be going anywhere or doing anything where exposure to Covid is likely. For the sake of the sesshin as a whole, please be extremely careful if you must leave the Center during the day. If you need to work on your computer on Monday and/or Tuesday during the day, you are welcome to do so at the Center.
- If you are using public transportation to travel to sesshin, you should arrive a minimum of four days beforehand so that you can test for Covid and receive the results prior to the start of sesshin.
- For local applicatants: You have received a negative Covid test a maximum of three days before the start of sesshin.
- You use a rapid home test on the day of sesshin and receive a negative result.
There are a limited number of rooms available at the Center. Rooms will be single occupancy unless you agree to share a room. Preference will be given to senior members, those who live farthest away, and those who have been attending Zoom sittings and other events regularly. If you request residency on your sesshin application, we will let you know after the deadline whether or not a room is available. Please pay for the residential option if that is what you have applied for. If for some reason we cannot accommodate you, your extra fee will be refunded. Meals will be provided for those who stay at the Center.
Reminders About Sesshins
- If there is any change in your sesshin status, you must contact Roshi.
- The sesshin fee as well as your membership dues, if you are a member of the VZC, must be paid in full before the deadline for sesshin applications. If this is a hardship for you, please contact Jed Graef. Likewise, if you are unable to pay the sesshin fee, please contact Jed.
- Several days after the application deadline you will receive an e-mail formally confirming your acceptance to the sesshin and with information about how to connect via Zoom (for virtual participants) as well as your dokusan group number and dokusan procedures. If you have any questions about the sesshin or sesshin procedures, please do not hesitate to contact the Center.
Pointers About Virtual Sesshins
- We encourage you to maintain silence throughout the sesshin to the extent you are able.
- Try to plan your meals in advance. Eat in silence if possible and, if you can, recite the meal chants.
- During sittings, it is best not to face your camera, but rather sideways. Please do not sit with your back to the camera. During chanting and teisho, please face the camera. Your video should be on at all times unless you are not at the sitting.
- It is essential that you consult with family members about your sesshin expectations. Don't wait until the last minute to do this. The success of your sesshin depends on good communication with those with whom you share living space.