With Roshi Rafe Martin
OCTOBER JATAKA 5-DAY SESSHIN
Starts—Friday, October 13 at 7:00 p.m.
Ends—Wednesday, October 18 at around 7:00 a.m.
Application Deadline—Friday, September 15
General Sesshin Information
You may stay at the Center during the Jataka sesshin if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a member of the Triple Sangha or Endless Path Zendo.
- You are Roshi Graef's or Roshi Martin's student.
- You are attending the sesshin full time. Full time means you are not leaving the Center AT ALL during the weekend portion of sesshin other than going into the Center's gardens.
- IDEALLY, if you are using public transportation to travel to sesshin, you arrive three days beforehand so that you can test for Covid. If this is not possible, then you will be expected to wear a mask for the first three days after you arrive.
- You use a rapid home test on the day of sesshin and receive a negative result.
Reminders About Sesshins
- If there is any change in your sesshin status, you must contact Roshi.
- The sesshin fee as well as your membership dues, if you are a member of the VZC, must be paid in full before the deadline for sesshin applications. If this is a hardship for you, please contact Jed Graef. Likewise, if you are unable to pay the sesshin fee, please contact Jed.
- Several days after the application deadline you will receive an e-mail formally confirming your acceptance to the sesshin and with information about how to connect via Zoom (for virtual participants) as well as your dokusan group number and dokusan procedures. If you have any questions about the sesshin or sesshin procedures, please do not hesitate to contact the Center.
Pointers About Virtual Sesshins
- We encourage you to maintain silence throughout the sesshin to the extent you are able.
- Try to plan your meals in advance. Eat in silence if possible and, if you can, recite the meal chants.
- During sittings, it is best not to face your camera, but rather sideways. Please do not sit with your back to the camera. During chanting and teisho, please face the camera. Your video should be on at all times unless you are not at the sitting.
- It is essential that you consult with family members about your sesshin expectations. Don't wait until the last minute to do this. The success of your sesshin depends on good communication with those with whom you share living space.